Air Force Common Admission Test commonly known as AFCAT is an entrance examination conducted by Indian Air Force to select eligible and desirable candidates for multiple posts in Flying and Ground Duty [Technical and Non- Technical]. Serving in such a commendable and respected field is an honour in itself. The interested candidates should read further to go through the article below for eligibility criteria, vacancy, selection process, exam pattern, and other necessary details for AFCAT Exam.
AFCAT Exam details
AFCAT exam is conducted twice every year by Indian Air Force (IAF) and millions of students appear to ace this exam and join reputable Air Force Academy and get a commission as an Indian Air Force Officer. This exam has brought out the possibility of serving in an adventurous field for both male and female candidates which is befitting to the Young minds and flexibility of this dynamic generation. To crack the exam with good marks, aspirants must be well-versed with the AFCAT Syllabus, Exam Pattern, Eligibility Criteria and Selection Process.
AFCAT Exam Summary
Indian Air Force will announce vacancies for Ground Duty (Non-Technical and Technical) and Gazetted Officers in Flying Branches to be recruited for the course commencing in July 2023.
|Name of the Exam||AFCAT|
|Conducted by||Indian Air Force|
|Post Name||Ground Duty (Non-Technical and Technical) and Gazetted Officers in Flying Branches|
|Frequency||Twice in a year|
|Mode of Exam||Online (Computer Based Test)|
|Total Number of Questions||AFCAT: 100 & EKT: 50|
|Selection Process||Written test- AFSB Test- Medical Examination|
|Salary||Rs 85000 (approx)|
AFCAT Eligibility Criteria
AFCAT eligibility criteria for Ground Duty and Flying Branch posts are given below.
(A) AFCAT Age Limit
(i) Flying Branch:
Applicant age should be at least 20 years and the upper age is capped at 24 years for flying branch. Upper age limit for candidates holding valid and current Commercial Pilot License issued by DGCA (India) is relaxable upto 26 years.
(ii)Ground Duty (Technical/Non-Technical) Branches:
For ground duty, the minimum age is 20 years and the upper age limit is capped at 26 years
Candidates below 25 years of age must be unmarried at the time of commencement of the course. Widows/Widowers and divorcees (with or without encumbrances) below 25 years of age are also not eligible.
(B) AFCAT Educational Qualification
Minimum 50% marks each in physics and mathematics at 10+2 level and a three-year degree in graduation OR a BE/BTech degree with a minimum of 60% from a recognized university.
AFCAT Eligibility Criteria for Ground duty(Technical)Branch:
(i)Aeronautical engineering (Electronics)(AE(L)): Minimum 60% marks each in physics and mathematics at 10+2 level and a degree in graduation/post-graduation in the field of engineering and technology from a recognized university.
AFCAT Selection Process
Indian Air Force will send call letters to all the candidates who clear the AFCAT/EKT 2022 to appear for the second stage of selection i.e AFSB Testing.
AFSB Testing Stage- 1
It includes the following two tests:
- Officer Intelligence Rating Test.
- Picture Perception and Discussion Test (PP&DT)
Stage 1 is called the screening test and candidates who do not clear it will be rejected and will not be called for AFSB Testing Stage 2.
AFSB Testing Stage- 2
All Stage 1 qualified candidates will have to appear for AFSB Stage 2 and undergo the following tests:
Psychological Tests: These are written psychological tests and are conducted by professional psychologists.
Group Tests: These tests involve mental and physical activities to examine the candidates’ on various mental and physical parameters.
AFSB Interview: In this round, the interviewing officer takes a personal round of interviews for the candidate.
Computerised Pilot Selection System (CPSS) Test: This test is mandatory for only those candidates who have applied for the Flying Branch.
Recommended candidates will be called for the medical examination. The Indian Air force has prescribed only two centres for Medical Examination which are the Institute of Aviation Medicine, Bengaluru and Air Force Central Medical Establishment (AFCME). After the medical examination, a final merit list would be prepared on the basis of the marks scored by the candidate in written and AFSB interviews. All the shortlisted candidates would be given the joining letter of the respective training academies they have applied to.
AFCAT Exam Pattern
In the Table Below, we have provided you with the exam pattern of the AFCAT Exam.
|Name of Exam||Time Duration||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Subjects|
|1. AFCAT||2 Hours||100||300||Verbal Ability, Numerical Ability, Reasoning, General Awareness, and Military Aptitude|
|2. EKT(Engineering Knowledge Test)||45 Minutes||15||100||Technical|
Type of Questions: Multiple Choice Questions
Time Duration: 2 hrs
No. of questions: 100
Max marks: 300
Subjects: Verbal ability, Numerical Ability, Reasoning, General Awareness and Military Aptitude.
There is a negative marking of 1/3rd mark in all sections.
Engineering Knowledge Test (EKT) would be for 45 minutes and conducted immediately after AFCAT.
No. of questions: 50
Max marks: 150
Note: Candidates who are opting for Ground Duty (technical) branch have to pass both AFCAT & EKT.
Steps to Apply for AFCAT
Step 1- Registration Process
- Click on the link provided below or visit the official website.
- A new page will appear. New Users will have to register first.
- Click on New User Register
- A new page will appear to enter your mobile no. and email to register yourself.
- An OTP will be sent on your mobile no. and email, fill and click on “Submit”.
- A Login Id and Password will be sent to your registered mobile no. and email id.
Step 2- Login
- Login using the Registration Number and Password. Select the post.
- Fill up other details such as educational qualifications etc. depending upon the educational qualification of the candidate.
- Pay examination fee as applicable, online using Credit/Debit Card or Internet Banking
- Candidates are required to upload their scanned colour photograph and Signature (in English or in Hindi) in JPEG format.
- Login with Registration Number and Password in the link for “UPLOAD” and thereafter, upload the file/scanned filled
- Upload all the required certificates
- Submit the application. Print out the acknowledgement for records.
AFCAT Application Fee
Candidates registering for AFCAT entry will have to pay an amount of Rs. 250/- as examination fee.
- Cadets in the final year of training will be given a stipend of Rs. 56,100.
- After successful completion of training, level 10 in the Pay Matrix of the seventh Central Pay Commission will be allotted to the young Air Officers [56100-1,10,700]
- Military Service Pay- 15,500 will also be included.
- Flying Branch- Rs 11250 per month.
- Technical Branch Officers: Rs 2500 per month.
In Addition to these officers are also entitled to other allowances such as TA, DA, Children Education Allowance, Ration Money Allowance etc.
AFCAT 2022: FAQs
- How many times AFCAT is conducted in a year?
Ans: AFCAT exam is conducted twice in year.
- How can I apply for AFCAT 2022 exam?
Ans: Candidates who wish to apply for AFCAT can fill their application form online.
- Is AFCAT tough?
Ans: It is not tough to crack AFCAT exam if candidates have prepared well.
- What is good score for AFCAT?
Ans: Candidates are recommended to score 150 to 170 marks out of 300.
- Is there any reservation in AFCAT exam?
Ans: No, there is no reservation in AFCAT exam.
- How many times I can give AFCAT exam?
Ans: There is no capping in the number of attempts.
- What is the salary of flying officer?
Ans: The salary of flying officer is Rs 56,100 to 1,10700.
- How the merit list prepared?
Ans: The merit list to select candidates for AFSB test is prepared from those who have scored the minimum qualifying marks.
- How the candidates are selected for training?
Ans: Candidates recommended by AFSBs and found medically fit are selected for training based on the merit and availability of vacancies.
- Can I apply for AFCAT after class 12?
Ans: No, to be eligible for AFCAT exam candidates must be a graduate.